We've gathered some of our frequently asked questions to help answer any you may have before joining us for some motorcycle training.
What Is The Minimum Age To Ride A Motorcycle?
Do I Need To Re-Take A Theory Test If I Have A Car Licence?
- You must be 16 years or older to ride up to a 50cc motorcycle WITH a CBT and L-Plates.
Do I Need A Licence To Learn To Ride?
- Yes. There are specific questions regarding motorcycles in a Motorcycle theory test, and these are not covered in your car licence. You do not need to pass this theory test to ride on with L-Plates and up to 50cc.
What Does A CBT Involve?
- As with learning to drive, a provisional licence is required to start any form of training. You will need a provisional to start a CBT and a CBT to start training for a full licence.
- Attending Compulsory Basic Training is required BY LAW, before taking to the road. The CBT will consist of:
What Should I bring?
- The Basics: Legal Requirements, Safety, Clothing, Highway Code, Motorcycle Riding Theory
- Introduction to machine controls: Safety Checks, Motorcycle Controls, Basic Maintenance
- On Site Training: Practising Manoeuvres, Building Skills and Confidence
- Road Craft: Road Conditions, Road Hazards, Awareness of other road users
- On-Road Training: Out on the road with the instructor closely advising, experiencing of varying traffic conditions.
How Long Does A CBT Take?
- Wear comfortable clothing and sturdy footwear, we will provide the rest. YOU MUST BRING A VALID PROVISIONAL LICENCE. It would be beneficial to bring a basic understanding of the Highway Code too.
How Long Does A CBT Last?
- Usually the course takes a day to complete, although some people take longer to complete it. This is fine! We are there to make sure you are comfortable on the roads and a confident rider; there is no sense in progressing unless you are ready!
Will I Pass?
- A CBT certificate lasts two years from the date of issue. You will need to retake your CBT or upgrade to further training should the CBT run out.
If you have anymore questions please do not hesitate to get in touch, our service team are delightful and will help you in every way they can.
- The CBT is not a test, so we will not pass you or fail you. But if you do not meet the required standard we cannot issue a completion certificate. Understand your limits and be vocal to your instructor and there is a great chance you’ll receive your certificate.